Europe For The Senses

Author/Photographer Vicki Liston blogs on her book and some interesting places she's traveled. "Europe for the Senses - A Photographic Journal" was published under the name 'Vicki Landes'.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Can't cook? So travel!

Europe can be daunting for the first-time tourist…it can be down right terrifying as a matter of fact. When I first learned that we’d be moving to Europe, I was livid. We’d just bought a house, I’d just graduated from college, AND I’d just had a baby…I definitely didn’t want anymore life changes! Yet, the Army doesn’t exactly sympathize with that so off we went. I didn’t know anything about my surroundings or the language and my husband was deployed about a month after we got moved in. Talk about being scared...

If you are interested in seeing a certain area of Europe but are a little scared to do so on your own, why not check out a cooking school? My absolute favorite has been Faye Hess’ “Cucina Casalinga” in Italy. Faye is a NY chef who spends her time cooking up a storm (and an upcoming book) in Long Island City as well as teaching Umbrian cooking in the heart of Tuscany. Faye’s school feeds the hearts of both tourists and aspiring chefs – the mornings and early afternoons are spent exploring the countryside, tasting Italian wines and cheeses, and visiting ancient cities while the late afternoon and evenings have her students cooking tasty Italian delicacies. She cooks with all the love of a true Italian and her kitchen is always full of laughter and friendship.

I have to admit, I’ve been to Faye’s school more than once…but it’s addicting! My heart craves Italy, especially during the chilly winter months when the sun ignores Germany. When I do get to Tuscany, I actually cry. It sings to me. Couple that with a week worth of learning new recipes, making new friends, and savoring the relaxed Italian atmosphere...I’ve found my bliss.

Find out about Faye Hess’ cooking school at www.kitchensister.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home