Europe For The Senses

Author/Photographer Vicki Liston blogs on her book and some interesting places she's traveled. "Europe for the Senses - A Photographic Journal" was published under the name 'Vicki Landes'.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

National 4-H Week

Did you know that the first week of October is ‘National 4-H Week’? My sister, Dawn, and I spent about five years in this organization when we were younger, taking everything from ceramics to candlemaking and dog training. I think the most valuable classes I took were in photography. My dad taught each of the classes and I got to use his hand-me-down Canon 35mm (which I still have). I remember learning that you ruin the entire package of light-sensitive paper when you pull them out of the special black envelope under normal room lights. I remember that if you shampoo twice, you can get the smell of the development chemicals out of your hair. I also remember learning the important stuff like shutter speed, light settings, filters, and ISO.

During one of the later years in photography, I had to come up with a photo story for the 4-H fair. This was probably my most unenjoyable project – I enjoyed the close-ups and the action shots but a photo story? Whatever. I ended up photographing the process to make a hard boiled egg…”The Stupid Egg Story” (as I affectionately called it). Well, that ‘stupid’ egg story won over all other photography projects and went on to the State Fair. To be honest, I don’t remember the results at State, but I do remember getting a couple of gift certificates out of the deal.

For the most part, Dawn and I had fun in 4-H. We learned some skills that many of our friends didn’t have, some of which even came in handy many years later. And somewhere in my parent’s basement are the basins, red light, photo paper (inside a black envelope), negative enlarger machine, and smelly chemicals waiting to be enjoyed again.

http://www.4husa.org/

1 Comments:

At 5:20 AM, Blogger Laurel said...

I thought 4-H was for livestock:) In highschool we had the 4-H club, sadly I never did anything in 4-H.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home