Europe For The Senses

Author/Photographer Vicki Liston blogs on her book and some interesting places she's traveled. "Europe for the Senses - A Photographic Journal" was published under the name 'Vicki Landes'.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Travel Resources

Over the last couple of months, I’ve been able to do some magazine, online, and radio interviews and each one has sparked a flow of wonderful emails from people asking how I got into traveling. So this week, I want to share some of my resources that I use almost every time I start planning a trip – short or extended.

Like I say in most of my interviews, I was hesitant about traveling at first. New country, new culture, new language – it’s scary to get out there at first! I’m actually experiencing that right now as I adjust to South Carolina (the accent feels like a different language sometimes and I’m fighting to keep the word “ya’ll” out of my vocabulary :) Some people can get out there and just drive around and find places…I can’t (that, and I don’t want to waste that expensive stuff I have to pump into my car every couple of days). Shortly after we moved overseas, my in-laws sent me my first Rick Steves book. Seven years later, the pages are dog-eared and there’s a bit of sticky gelato on the spine but it’s still a fantastic book. Steves has been a European traveler for decades and despite those khaki shorts (which can be downright goofy sometimes), the man is a travel genius. Honestly, I don’t start planning a major trip without looking up what he’s written on the destination already. Why recreate the wheel when Steves has already done so – the wheel, the cart, the horse, AND the little guy that sits up front and yells, “let’s go!” I’ve got several of his books (and I’m actually waiting for a new one, too – his office is sending me one for talking on his radio show) and every single one of them have been worth what I paid.

Another book I use just as religiously as Steves’ collection when I stay within Germany is called “Time to Travel, Travel in Time: to Germany’s finest stately homes, gardens, castles, abbeys and Roman remains”. This one’s probably my all-time favorite because it includes not only information on each destination, such as a brief history, opening times, and admission costs, the photography is absolutely stunning. Large, full color pages prevent even the most reluctant traveler from exclaiming, “there’s nothing to do here” :) It’s published in Germany and sold at many of the castles featured in the book; I was able to locate and purchase it online (ISBN: 3-7954-1411-3, published by Schnell & Steiner, 2001). There’s a companion book also published by Schnell & Steiner that you can use if you are into gardens and parks, “Pleasure Gardens, Garden Pleasures: Germany’s most beautiful historical gardens” (ISBN: 3-7954-1536-5, published in 2003). Like “Time to Travel”, it includes text, great information, and gorgeous full-color pictures of each destination. I used the books together as my husband was completely and utterly burned out on castles but he still found the gardens enjoyable. Just flipping through these books makes me ache to go back!

If you are at a military base, the USO is a great tool. I’ve taken a few of their tours myself but I’m not a big fan of getting up at 3am to sit on a crowded bus. Most of the time, I’d use the USO for ideas. You can get a basic itinerary for one of their trips and then plan your own trip around that, tailoring to your individual interests and pace. I had a friend who would actually follow the USO bus in his car so he wouldn’t have to pay :) I don’t want to discourage taking a USO trip, though – they can be a lot of fun and I’ve always made new friends (even on the most uncomfortable of rides) – so please don’t write them off! In addition to tours, the USO always has tons of free information on a myriad of places in Europe.

I also use plenty of budget travel options! If my destination is close enough to drive (in my mind, that’s under five hours), I throw my bags in the car and go! Anything with a driving time over five hours requires alternate transportation (I don’t like spending a majority of my time off behind the wheel). Germany’s got a fantastic train system and on the weekends, they offer a ‘Schoenes Wochenende’ ticket. For about 30 euros, you have the weekend to train as much as you want (within the confines of the state you are in, see their website for details on this and other offers at www.dbahn.de and click on ‘International Guests’ for English). Although not as reliable as the German system, Italian trains offer the comfort of leaving the driving to someone else – www.trenitalia.com (the ‘English’ button is in the top right corner).

Too far to drive or train? Flying within Europe can be incredibly cheap! I love using German Wings (www.germanwings.com), HLX (www.hlx.de), and Ryan Air (www.ryanair.com). I’ve flown from Stuttgart to Pisa and return for only 30 euros! Check daily as they run 24 hour specials where one-way flights are as low as 19 cents. Watch baggage weight limits, though!

Need an inexpensive hotel? I check Rick Steves books for recommendations and then search them on www.hrs.de (click ‘English). I’ve done a TON of internet searches for hotels and for the most part, I’ve found that HRS offers the best deals regardless of the country I’m checking into. Plus, you don’t have to wait to find out if the reservation has been made (plenty of other sites take your credit card and then get back with you in three days to confirm) – when you book, you know you have a reservation and receive a confirmation code immediately. Further, many of the hotels that list with HRS don’t require a credit card to book and you have up to 6pm that day to cancel if you need to.

My last recommendation is one I didn’t discover until close to the end of our time in Germany – GPS! What a truly perfect travel tool! I can’t tell you how much time (over seven years) was wasted trying to find our hotel in the middle of the city or that lonesome monastery in the middle of nowhere. Car-mounted, it will get you to a specific address or to a nearby tourist attraction while handheld devices can remember where your car is parked or walk you to a restaurant. If you don’t own one, it’s simple to rent a car with one already installed. A GPS will alleviate a LOT of stress from traveling (my husband gets incredibly frustrated when we get lost so this one little electronic bundle of joy has avoided plenty of irritation!)

I also love getting travel resources from other people so if you have an idea that works for you during your trip planning, let me know! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home